Indice del forum
english for fun
Radio

Grammatica, esercizi, giochi, traduzione di brani letterari,materiale per esame di stato,

PortalPortale  blogBlog  AlbumAlbum  Gruppi utentiGruppi utenti  Lista degli utentiLista degli utenti  GBGuestbook  Pannello UtentePannello Utente  RegistratiRegistrati 
 FlashChatFlashChat  FAQFAQ  CercaCerca  Messaggi PrivatiMessaggi Privati  StatisticheStatistiche  LinksLinks  LoginLogin 
 CalendarioCalendario  DownloadsDownloads  Commenti karmaCommenti karma  TopListTopList  Topics recentiTopics recenti  Vota ForumVota Forum

Photobucket

Portrayal of Women in The Canterbury Tales
Utenti che stanno guardando questo topic:0 Registrati,0 Nascosti e 0 Ospiti
Utenti registrati: Nessuno

Nuovo Topic   Rispondi    Indice del forum -> Literature 3^
PrecedenteInvia Email a un amico.Utenti che hanno visualizzato questo argomentoSalva questo topic come file txtVersione stampabileMessaggi PrivatiSuccessivo
Autore Messaggio
englishforfun

Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Sab Gen 14, 09:34:09    Oggetto:  Portrayal of Women in The Canterbury Tales
Descrizione: La visione delle donne nei racconti di Canterbury

Portrayal of Women in The Canterbury Tales

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer serves as a moral manual for the 1300’s and years after. Through the faults of both men and woman, Chaucer shows in each story what is right and wrong and how one should live. Under the surface, however, lies a jaded look at woman and how they are the cause of the downfall of men.

The Knight’s Tale is one of chivalry and upstanding moral behavior. However, beneath the surface lies the theme of the evil nature of women. Emily plays the part of the beautiful woman who captivates the hearts of two unsuspecting men. Those two men are cousins Arcite and Palamon, both knights who duel for Emily’s hand in marriage. The two start out as the best of friends and then roommates in a jail cell that is to be shared for eternity. But with one look at Emily, the two start bickering instinctively and almost come to blows over something they will never be able to have, or so it seems.

Chaucer’s knack for irony revels itself as Arcite is released from his life sentence but disallowed from ever coming back to Athens. He would be killed if ever caught within the city again by King Theseus. Because Arcite is doomed to never again see Emily, his broken heart causes him sickness as he’s weakened by love. It is only after he comes up with the plan of returning to Athens under an assumed name that he starts to get better. Meanwhile, Palamon remains back in captivity, rendered helpless due to his lifelong punishment in prison. He knows that he will never be able to talk to Emily and certainly not marry her because of his plight. All he can do is watch her from a distance and admire her beauty. Arcite believes that this is a better punishment than his, though, as he says: “O dere cosin Palamon, quod he, Thyn is the victorie of this aventure Ful blisfully in prison maistow dure; In prison? Certes nay, but in paradys! Wel hath fortuen y-turned thee the dys, That hast the sighte of hir, and I th’adsence. … But I, that am exyled and bareyne Of alle grace, and in so greet despeir, That ther nis erthe, water, fyr, ne eir, Ne creature, that of hem maked is, That may me helpe or doon confort in this: Wel oughte I sterve in wanhope and distresse; Farwel my lyf, my lust, and my gladnesse!” (58 and 60) Emily has caused him such distress that he cries all the time and contemplates killing himself so he won’t have to feel this every day pain that appears to have no end. All of this because of a woman.

Emily is a sweet, innocent woman of her times. In a strange twist for a woman of The Canterbury Tales, she is perfectly happy alone and doesn’t ever want to be married. Yet, Palamon and Arcite duel twice for Emily’s love and Arcite ends up losing his life all because of her. Palamon, winning her by default, serves Emily faithfully for several years before she agrees to marry him, still not loving him, though. No one wins in “The Knight’s Tale,” but it is the two men who fight over the woman who lose the most.

The “Nun’s Priest’s Tale” is perhaps the best representation of men’s downfall due to the influence of women. The story revolves around a rooster, Chauntercleer, the most beautiful cock in all of England with the sweetest voice an any ear has heard. He has seven wives but his favorite was Pertelote, an elegant hen in her own right. It is this woman, this female, that causes Chauntercleer great trouble. One night Chauntercleer wakes suddenly from a bad dream. Seemingly seeking comfort in her, he tells Pertelot about the dream which involves a wild, rampant dog with beady eyes coming after Chauntercleer. But instead of consoling her “husband”, she challenges his manhood and says that no man hers should be scared of a dream. This causes Chauntercleer to go off on a tangent about the many, many times in history dreams have predicted the future and how non-believers suffered the consciences of not taking the proper precautions. After he done, however, he says that Pertelot is probably right and goes off about his day not giving it another thought. This causes the narrator to take an aside from the story to tell us his own opinion on women but says that it is the belief of many men and not his own in an attempt to perhaps cover himself. In this he says: “Wommennes counseils been ful ofte colde; Wommannes counseil broughte us first to wo, And made Adam fro paradys to go, Theras he was ful mery, and wel at ese. But for I noot to whom it mighte displese If I counseil of wommen wolde blame, Passe over, for I seyde it in my game. Rede auctours, wher they trete of swich matere, And what they seyn of wommen ye may here. Thise been the cokkes wordes, and nat myne; I can noon harm of no womman divyne.” (404) Chauntecleer later is indeed attacked by a wolf and carried away to the woods to his certain doom before slipping away, proving the point that women are the downfall of men. If he had listened to himself and his dreams instead of Pertelote, Chauntecleer would have been more cautious of not of had the near-death encounter he did.

Finally, the prologue to the “Wife Of Bath’s Tale” shows the reader another type of woman of the time, this time in the effect of the story teller. The Wife Of Bath is a tough woman with a mind of her own and she’s not afraid to speak it. She intimidates men and woman alike due to the strength she possesses. But instead of showing this as a good characteristic, Chaucer makes her toothless and ugly. She has also had five different husbands and countless affairs, thus breaking innocent men’s hearts. In one part of the prologue, the Wife Of Bath speaks of marriage and women from a man’s point of view: “Thou lykenest wommanes love to helle, To bareyne lond, ther water may not dwelle. Thou lyknest is also to wilde fyr: The more it brenneth, the more it hath desyr To consume every thing that brent wol be. Thous seyst right as wormes shende a tree, Right so a wyf destroyeth hir housebonde; This knowe they that been to wyves bonde.”

The Wife Of Bath brings up many a valid point throughout the prologue but Chaucer voids her opinion because of her social class and looks, when in truth she is very wise. It is as if her intelligence is overshadowed by the fact that has had five husbands and considered something of a whore. It is not only in three narration’s that women are thought of as having an evil-like quality, that they always tempt and take from men, but in almost every one of the stories. They are depicted of untrustworthy, selfish and very vain throughout the collection of tales. Chaucer obviously has very opinionated views of the marriage and the opposite sex and expresses it very strongly in The Canterbury Tales.
Torna in cima
Profilo Messaggio privato Invia email
Adv

MessaggioInviato: Sab Gen 14, 09:34:09    Oggetto: Adv

Torna in cima
Mostra prima i messaggi di:   
Nuovo Topic   Rispondi    Indice del forum -> Literature 3^ Tutti i fusi orari sono GMT + 1 ora
Pagina 1 di 1

Vai a: